Hearing Awareness Week
Event Date: 2022-03-01
World Hearing Day is held on 3 March each year to raise awareness on how to prevent deafness and hearing loss, and to promote ear and hearing care across the world.In Australia, hearing loss:
- costs our economy $15 billion a year in health system costs and lost productivity
- is more common than heart disease, cancer and diabetes
Did you know that:
- 500,000 hearing aids are bought every year in Australia
- 10,000 people whose first language is Auslan cannot be left behind and deserve better access to education, jobs & community life
This World Hearing Day will be observed on 3 March 2022 with the theme “To hear for life, listen with care”.
Through this theme, World Hearing Day will focus on the importance of safe listening as a means of maintaining good hearing throughout our lives.
The key messages in 2022 are:
• It is possible to have good hearing across the life course through ear and hearing care
• Many common causes of hearing loss can be prevented, including hearing loss caused by exposure to loud sounds
• ‘Safe listening’ can mitigate the risk of hearing loss associated with recreational sound exposure
• WHO calls upon governments, industry partners and civil society to raise awareness for and implement evidence-based standards that promote safe listening
There is a range of free information resources that you can download here.